1918 – 1939
In 1918, after completing his apprenticeship with John Hanna and Company, funeral undertakers and building contractors, Samuel Clarke founded his own business at premises situated in Greenwell Street, Newtownards.
After their marriage in 1925, Samuel’s wife, Minnie, ably assisted him in the administration of the business.
Due to business expansion during the 1930’s larger premises in Movilla Street were purchased affording space for a joinery workshop, timber store, stabling for four horses and garaging for vehicles. Although his original horse hearse was still in commission, Samuel also owned a 1929 Dodge hearse.
As was common practice until recent years, the family home adjoined the business premises.
1939 – 1979
During the Second World War, after the firm was contracted to undertake arrangements for fatalities amongst RAF Personnel, the horses were sold to accommodate a motorised fleet.
In 1940 John Clarke entered his father’s employ and together they saw the business increase, resulting in the erection of their funeral church at Court Square in 1970.
1979 – 2003
After the founder’s death, in 1979, John was joined in the business by his son Jim.
The steady growth in business necessitated the moving of all operations to their present address at Court Square in 1990. The newly renovated premises include a suite of offices and a modern embalming theatre. The adjacent funeral church, accommodating up to 140 mourners, also provides individual rest rooms and private facilities for the officiating minister.
Extensive car parking is available at the rear of these premises.
In December 2004 we opened our latest branch at 64 Newtownards Road, Bangor, Co. Down.
In the intervening years, we have undertaken a major refurbishment programme across both branches. The results are enhanced facilities that offers ease of access to the highest quality and serenity of surroundings within a tranquil setting.